A good night’s sleep is essential to keep you happy, efficient and healthy. But, the secret sauce to great sleep is not just your strict sleep-wake schedule, your active lifestyle, the light stretching you do right before your slumber, or the relaxing music you listen to - your actual bed matters. And that is why, it is important to change your mattress from time to time, especially because it will start affecting your sleep.
Now, replacing a mattress is hardly going to take you a few seconds - go to our website, select the mattress you need, add to cart and order. But the essential thing to know is “WHEN?” as in when is the right time to replace your mattress? Mattresses last long, 10-15 years, maybe even 20 if you maintain them properly, but they still won’t last forever. And since they don’t have any expiration date, guessing their retirement time can be tough. But, we know how to help. Take a look below at some of the most obvious signs that mean your mattress needs to be replaced.
- The usual, time-induced sagging: Over the years, the material inside your mattress, be it foam or spring, starts to wear down and your mattress sags by an inch or two. It is one of the most common indicators of an old, ready to be replaced mattress.
- The fading memory of memory foam: Talking specifically about memory foam mattresses, they are supposed to remember sleep positions i.e. form impressions, but return to their original shape once the sleeper is out of bed. However, with time, the cell structure of memory foam starts to break down and its ability to return to its original shape starts to fade - indicating that it is getting old and might need to be replaced. Additionally, the change in firmness either way - harder or softer, also indicates that the mattress is getting old.
- The uneven lumps: As your mattress gets older, the padding inside starts to shift around, leading to uneven density and unwanted, uncomfortable pressure points. This, in other words, would mean that you won’t get enough support at points where you need it, and replacing the mattress becomes inevitable.
- If the bed starts to bite: In one of our old blogs, we talked about how a human body excretes about half a litre of sweat and discards almost a gram of skin, which gets absorbed by the mattress and causes the growth of fungal spores, allergens, bacteria, and dust mites, etc. that might cause allergic reactions. So if you notice yourself sneezing when you get close to the bed or feeling stuffed up in the morning, it’s probably time to evaluate your mattress situation.
- The comfort that is no more: Better support for your spine, help with alleviating the pain in your joints and all, etc. these are some common reasons why people spend on quality mattresses. But when the mattress stops providing the required level of comfort or support, it is usually because it has turned old and needs to go.
- The obvious age factor: Last but not least, we unanimously believe that all mattresses can last longer if the people using them take care of them properly. However, no matter how well you maintain your mattress, your mattress will become unusable. And all you need to know is to accept it when the time comes. For instance, we offer a 15-year warranty on all our products - and we certainly believe they can last up to 18-20 years with proper care. But beyond that, they need to be replaced.
P.S: if you want to find the right mattress for yourself, do remember to use our mattress guide.